Pest Control Singapore
In terms of sanitation, the food industry is one of the most sensitive. Whether is it office pantry, kitchen, restaurants or food storage places, they are the most venerable places to pest infestation. As food establishments are the perfect habitat for pests, what will happen if they are not careful with their pest management? Pest infestations in the food industry can have a serve effect on the following:
- Food Hygiene
- Relations with Customers
- Most Importantly, Restaurant’s Reputation.
There are many rules and regulations regarding ensuring food safety for food establishments. Take Singapore for example, the National Environment Agency (NEA) is responsible for ensuring and up keeping the food standard in Singapore. Using different methods for pest control in food establishments is the way to achieve the highest standard of safe food products. In Singapore, food establishment can be defined as the following.
What is Food Establishment?
In Singapore, food establishment refers to all places where food is
- Kept or stored
- large dairy industries
- meat storages and cutting houses
- grocery stores
- bakery and confectionery factories and
- other flour-related item factories.
Food in bulk amount is stored, prepared, and then distributed to wholesale markets and retailers. In Singapore, it is a significant industry by itself. You can imagine how important good pest management is to for food establishments. Proper pest control and pest management is crucial to them.
The truth is that pest management have become a headache for food establishments in Singapore. The presence of pests in food establishments is unhygienic, causes pathogen spread and many other diseases.
Pest Control in Food Establishments:
Pest management in Singapore is a serious measure for pest control. For effective pest control, there are a few things that you need to take note:
- What Kind of Pests Are In The Food Establishments?
- What Kind of Pathogens They Carry?
- How to Effectively Eradicate Them?
Different Kinds of Pests in Food Establishments:
The cold environment and the abundance of food are the two factors that make food establishments best for pest like rats, lizards, and insects.
The food establishment can take a decision either to
- Hire a pest control agency or
- Appoint an in-house system for pest control.
Methods Used for Pest Control:
If you hire professional pest control agency like The Pest Control Company, they will make effective pest control strategies. They always prefer physical methods first to eradicate pests and then chemical processes. It depends on the conditions and severity of the infestation.
Physical and Preventive Methods:
Prevention is a more natural way to avoid pests. All food establishments staffs can follow the guidelines given by the pest control management in Singapore to prevent pests.
Cleanliness is the key to many of the problems; one of them is pest infestations.
- Examine food clearly and separate rotten food.
- Dispose of rotten food properly
- Clean area of food storage and food processing
- Make sure to complete sanitation protocols in all steps from raw food to storage, processing, packing, and delivery.
- Seal the cracks on the floors.
- The workers themselves should take care of sanitation to avoid any spread in an infestation.
Keeping Pests Away from Food Industry Premises:
Relevant workers at food establishments must keep at least a radius of 50 ft. area around the food industry pest-free. They can do it by:
- Keeping garbage bags closed
- Making sure garbage trucks picks up the garbage regularly.
- Keeping surrounding areas clean.
- Separate garbage leftovers and rotten food properly. Rotten food like vegetables and fruits are the favorite place for breeding of flies.
- Any liquid spillage should be cleaned properly. It will attract tiny ants and flies unless appropriately cleaned.
- Don’t let stagnant water standing outside the food faculty. It is the cause of the hybridization of mosquitoes, flies, and other pests.
If the surrounding area of the faculty is kept clean, chances are the inside will also remain pest-free.
Block all Pathways of Pests:
There are two primary sources of pest entry into food establishments. Doors and windows. You must make sure that
- Doors and windows are closed properly
- There must be heavy plastic curtains if doors are open for use.
- Must fill holes and cracks between the wall
- Must use lights that are less attractive to pests. Sodium vapor light is best for this purpose.
Check Storage Areas Frequently:
The storage area can be the most susceptible place to pest infestation in food establishments. You can find ants, small cockroaches and flies there. For best pest control in these places, proper pest inspection must be conducted regularly. Two methods are essential in this scenario.
- To check for the signs of pest infestations. Like feces of rats, foul odor, carcasses of insects and moths.
- Inspection team can use pheromones traps. Pheromones are the chemicals that females release to attract males. These chemicals prove to be a good trap for insects.
For pest control in the storage area, there are the following methods:
- Clean the shelves and area properly
- Use rat traps if needed
- Cover the food properly
- Use FIFO (first-in, first-out) technique. It is the most effective technique against pests. Frequently moving food in storage can break the life cycles of insects.
Chemical Method for Pest Prevention:
The use of pesticides in food establishments is not widely appreciated. Pesticides contain many chemicals that can contaminate food and are not suitable for the health of the workers. But when physical methods are not enough for pest control, pesticides is a must. Following checks are necessary for the use of pesticides:
- Use chemicals that are not too dangerous
- Use only those chemicals that break the life cycles of pests.
- Overuse of chemicals can cause resistance in insects.
- After using pesticides, checking pesticide residues in food is necessary.
Like any developed country, Singapore also has listed MRLs (maximum residue lists). All food chains must follow protocols set by the Singapore government. Consumers must also wash and clean raw food before consuming to avoid any health problem.
Pest control in food establishments is vital to ensure good human health. There are many methods to prevent pest infestations. But if food establishments become contaminated, it is difficult to eradicate pests 100%. Pest control agencies recommend investing once and correctly. On the other side, it is very essential to carefully use pesticides to avoid contamination of food as pesticides are also not safe for human health. For more information about Pest Control, please visit The Pest Control Company.